Government of JamaicaGovernment of Jamaica

Land Valuation

The Land Valuation Division provides the following services: 

  • Information relating to parcels of land;
  • Updates to the Valuation Roll such as:
  • Change of ownership
  • Change of postal address
  • New parcels created from sub-divisions
  • The Certification of Value for properties, which are being sub-divided.   


In addition, the Division undertakes valuations for all purposes for governmental agencies and organisations.


Do you wish to have information recorded on the Valuation Roll amended? If so, the Division requires the following information:          

  • Valuation Number. This can be obtained from your assessment notice or from a property tax receipt;
  • The property address of the parcel;
  • Copy of Registered Title (if property is registered).         


Where the property is unregistered, proof of ownership is required to effect changes relating to the ownership of the property. Such documents may include any one or more of the following:         

  • Liber New Series Records (L.N.S.);
  • Registration under the Facilities for Titles Act;
  • Court Order;
  • Letters of Administration;
  • Probated Will;
  • Indenture;
  • Sale Agreement along with proof of final payment;
  • Sale receipt showing final payment on purchase;
  • Any other relevant documentation the Commissioner may approve.




How do I lodge an objection to a Notice of Valuation?

If upon receipt of a Notice of Valuation you are dissatisfied with it for one of the reasons listed below, you may within sixty (60) days of service of the Notice, serve a Notice of Objection on the Commissioner of Land Valuations.


What are the grounds for lodging an objection?

Grounds for objection can be found in Section 34 of the Land Valuation Act. Listed below are the only valid reasons for objections:

  • That the value assessed is too high or too low. Please note that objections may not be made on grounds such as “the tax is too high”. Objections may be made only to the amount at which your land has been valued, not to the taxes due. So first ask yourself whether the valuation of the land is fair, based on the market value prevailing at the valuation date, and if the answer is “yes”, then you have no reason to object on the grounds that the value is too high or low.


  • That lands which should be included in one valuation have been valued separately.


  • That lands which should be valued separately have been included in one valuation.


  • That the person(s) named in the Notice is/are not the owner(s) of the land.


If your objection is to the value assessed, you may also submit a Declaration of Value indicating the amount for which, in your opinion, the land should be valued.

Even if you file a Declaration of Value you must pay land tax on:

  • 75% of the valuation as assessed by the Commissioner of Land Valuations; or the valuation declared by you, whichever is the greater, pending consideration of your objection by the Commissioner of Land Valuations.


The statutory Notice of Objection and Declaration of Value forms are available from Collectorates Islandwide or NLA Customer Service offices Islandwide.


Why do I receive a Notice of Valuation from the Commissioner of Valuations as well as a Property Tax Assessment Notice from Inland Revenue?


The Commissioner of Valuations is responsible for assessing the value of land upon which the tax is calculated and collected by the Inland Revenue Department.


Land Registration and Conveyancing Workshop starts May 14, 2024

Social Links

Live Chat Count Down

add chat to your website


For general information about our services, please contact us at:

  • +876.750.5263
  • +876.946.5263
  • +876.418.5089
  • 8 Ardenne Road Kingston 10